Macalester College Student Government

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

 

Statement from President Alison Tray

Hi Everyone,

I truly support much of what MPJC-SDS has done and seeks to do. I also admire many qualities that they possess. The week of the RNC will be a profound week for many people and I believe it will be a great atmosphere at Macalester both for learning and for discovery.

So, to me, the answer to Molly [Griffard]'s question is clear: Do we want this at our campus?....yes...

However, there are other important questions to ask ourselves concerning the housing aspect of this week. Would creating an environment with hundreds of people sleeping on campus at night be more counterproductive than productive? Would it limit someone's personal experience? Would it limit yours?

More importantly, would you be willing to take the responsibility for someone else's injury and have that irreversible event on your hands? For the sake of your vision?

The truth is, there is no right answer, there are only personal ones...

My personal opinion, which I believe is in agreement with the exec board, is that risks are presented in almost every action a person commits, but sometimes a line has to be drawn. I do not think we should base decisions solely off of policy, because policies change, but I know I would do my best to do the least harm in accordance with my vision and my values. Sometimes when you are so intent on one idea, something you seek so passionately, you turn yourself off to options that could be just a good. I admit with complete honesty, for good or bad, that I myself have recognized this emotion. I once heard: every action we take, everything we do, is either a victory or defeat in the struggle to become what we want to be.

And with that said, I admire many qualities of MPJC-SDS, their vision, and respect many of their endeavors, but I cannot support their refusal to listen to other housing options, which may result in the harm of other students.

[Vice President] Chloe Mirzayi is preparing a response to send out campus wide as a statement from MCSG concerning this subject. The purpose of this statement will be to inform, to explain the rationale behind our stance as an exec board and perhaps to stimulate some discussions.

Best,

Alison Tray

MCSG President


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

July 2008   September 2008   October 2008  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]